Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Questions...

On Saturday I was at a conference all day where I gave two workshops (the conference didn’t have anything to do with diabetes) and at lunch a colleague cornered me to ask me about my diabetes. He was concerned about the warning signs; he had elevated sugar levels when he went for his annual physical. He doesn’t have diabetes but he is worried that he might become diabetic.

So I sat down with him and went over some of the warning signs and how I ignored them. He had a couple of them including frequent urination that his doctor was going to check his prostate to see if that is the problem, but he is also thirsty all the time. I told him that he should tell his doctor that and that he should cut back on the soda (he was on his second can of the day).

For me when I first found out that I had diabetes, I was all questions also. Not only did I ask my health care providers and research it on the internet, but also talked to my friends who I knew had diabetes. I was in the exploratory phase, gathering all the information that I could find out about diabetes from friends. The doctors and internet can only give data, but friends can give you support and stories about how they have coped with living with diabetes.

No comments:

Post a Comment