Saturday, April 14, 2012

It’s Everywhere

Before I never noticed ads on television for diabetes products, now I see them everywhere. I use a “One Touch” meter, now I notice the ads for them. The same is true for Levemir.

Today I visited one of my former professors who I hadn’t seen since I graduated last spring, at first when he asked how I was doing, I said fine; but then I decided to tell him that I had diabetes and he said that he has it also. Last January when I got some firewood from a high school friend, he asked me why I was so tired and I told him that I was just diagnosed with diabetes; he said that he has it. Two other friends I found out also have it.

They all seem to be doing fine and I wonder if I am the only one who has all of these complications. Was it because I was ignoring all the warning signs? Will I get better if I stick to my diet, exercise and lose weight?

Another friend just had all her toes cut off. But then again, every time I saw her she never followed any diet, she ate all the wrong type of foods. I don’t know how many times I saw her with a bag of chips and a can of soda. She is also overweight and doesn’t get any exercise.

I now try to get out and walk a couple of miles two or three times a week, I cut out just about all sugar out of my diet. I don’t have any soda (outside of club soda with a twist of lemon) and I am limiting my carb intake to around 120 – 140g a day. I want to lose more weight, right now I holding my weight and not gaining back the 45 pounds that I lost because of my unchecked diabetes.

My next lab test is in the beginning of May and we’ll see how my kidneys are doing, hopefully their function will improve

No comments:

Post a Comment