Thursday, April 12, 2012

In The News…

Shift workers 'risking' Type 2 diabetes and obesity

By James Gallagher Health and science reporter, BBC News
April 11. 2012

Shift workers getting too little sleep at the wrong time of day may be increasing their risk of diabetes and obesity, according to researchers.
[…]
Lower insulin levels

The 21 health-trial participants started with 10 hours' sleep at night. This was followed by three weeks of disruption to their sleep and body clocks.
Continue reading the main story
The length of the day was extended to 28 hours, creating an effect similar to a full-time flyer constantly getting jet lag.

Participants were allowed only 6.5 hours' sleep in the new 28-hour day, equivalent to 5.6 hours in a normal day. They also lived in dim light to prevent normal light resetting the body clock.

During this part of the study, sugar levels in the blood were "significantly increased" immediately after a meal and during "fasting" parts of the day.

The researchers showed that lower levels of insulin - the hormone that normally controls blood sugar - were produced.

Three of the participants had sugar levels which stayed so high after their meals they were classified as "pre-diabetic"
I never worked second shift that much and when I did it was over 20 years ago; however, normally I do not get that much sleep. I usually on sleep 5 hours a night, not by choice, it is just I wake up after 5 hours of sleep and cannot fall back to sleep. So I have to wonder if that was another factor besides being overweight, lack of exercise and having an infinity for sweets.

No comments:

Post a Comment