It has been a long time since I posted and it is mainly due to having my diabetes under control with diet and exercise and having nothing to report.
As some of you know I have a problem with my kidneys, Chronic Kidney Diseases (CKD) and at one time I was Stage 4. Which is just one step from dialysis and I now have improved to Stage 3. You also might remember that I was at one time taking Victoza to control my diabetes, well I just found this news article...
As some of you know I have a problem with my kidneys, Chronic Kidney Diseases (CKD) and at one time I was Stage 4. Which is just one step from dialysis and I now have improved to Stage 3. You also might remember that I was at one time taking Victoza to control my diabetes, well I just found this news article...
FDA to probe new diabetes drugs, precancerous changes in pancreasOne of the warnings on the box for Victoza was about kidney problems…
LA Times
By Melissa Healy
March 15, 2013
The Food and Drug Administration has announced that it will investigate whether a new class of Type 2 diabetes drugs sometimes called the "gliptins" may increase patients' risk of developing precancerous changes in the pancreas, as well as of developing acute pancreatitis.
The drugs now under closer FDA scrutiny are called incretin mimetics and include such widely prescribed medications as the drug exenitide (marketed as Byetta and Bydureon), liraglutide (Victoza), sitagliptin (Januvia and Janumet or Juvisync), saxagliptin (Onglyza), alogliptin (Nesina, Kazano and Oseni) and linogliptin (Tradjenta and Jentadueto). All of the drugs in this class help Type 2 diabetes patients control their blood sugar by mimicking the hormones that promote the release of insulin after a meal.
Kidney problems (kidney failure): Victoza may cause nausea, vomiting or diarrhea leading to loss of fluids (dehydration). Dehydration may cause kidney failure which can lead to the need for dialysis. This can happen in people who have never had kidney problems before. Drinking plenty of fluids may reduce your chance of dehydration.My kidney function decreased while I was on Victoza and then once I stopped taking it my kidney function increased. I think that there is a direct correlation between the two.
No comments:
Post a Comment