One year ago today I was diagnosed with diabetes.
I went in for my annual physical in the morning and a little after noon I received a call from my doctor saying my fasting blood glucose was 500! Back then I had no idea what that meant. But when I called my endo and she made an appointment for me in a half an hour, I knew it must not be good. I never have gotten an appointment with her without at least a 3 month wait.
When I left her office I had a box of needles, a box of insulin pens and a meter.
This morning my FBG was 78 and I have been office of all meds for my diabetes since the beginning of June (My A1C was 5.5 at the end of May, down from 10.6 at the end of February).
There were two things that got to this point where I am today, one is the diabetes forum that I joined. Where I learned to eat to my meter and the support everyone here has given me. The second thing that made me stay on this path was the same week that I found out that I had diabetes was that I held from a mutual friend that another friend just had her toes amputated because of her diabetes and I did not want that to happen to me.
I went in for my annual physical in the morning and a little after noon I received a call from my doctor saying my fasting blood glucose was 500! Back then I had no idea what that meant. But when I called my endo and she made an appointment for me in a half an hour, I knew it must not be good. I never have gotten an appointment with her without at least a 3 month wait.
When I left her office I had a box of needles, a box of insulin pens and a meter.
This morning my FBG was 78 and I have been office of all meds for my diabetes since the beginning of June (My A1C was 5.5 at the end of May, down from 10.6 at the end of February).
There were two things that got to this point where I am today, one is the diabetes forum that I joined. Where I learned to eat to my meter and the support everyone here has given me. The second thing that made me stay on this path was the same week that I found out that I had diabetes was that I held from a mutual friend that another friend just had her toes amputated because of her diabetes and I did not want that to happen to me.
No comments:
Post a Comment